How to fix Rounded Shoulders?
Rounded Shoulders can be fixed by strengthening the muscles that elevate the scapular and increasing the stability of the shoulder joint.
These two exercises are my “Go To’s”:
What is Rounded Shoulders?
This is where your shoulder girdle (glenohumeral joint and scapular) is forced into a ’rounded’ position or “depression”.
Excesive rounded shoulders or “scapular depression” can lead to many problems… I.e. compression of rotator cuff tendons, compression of the nerve that runs under the collarbone, decreased shoulder mobility etc.
What are the causes of Rounded Shoulders?
Many lifters who perform standard bodybuilding exercises in the gym such as bent-over rows, dead-lifts, and dumbbell lunges (where you hold heavyweight by your sides) will, as a result, have rounded shoulders.
Also, if you are one of those people who spend most of their lives behind a desk or you simply are just feeling the effects of gravity, then there is a chance you will have some postural issues.
I give a lot of care to my middle and lower trapezius but the upper traps are also very important to achieve optimal function of the shoulder complex.
So, how to fix rounded shoulders?
Here is my two favourite exercises to perform.
Overhead Plate Shrugs
Overhead Plate Shrugs –
- Sit down on the floor with legs stretched.
- Stay upright and turn on your core, head neutral.
- Hold the plate overhead with your arms straight and elevate your scapula by pressing the plate further overhead.
- Pause for a sec at the top then slowly return to starting position by lowering your shoulder blades down.
Repeat 8-10 times, x 2 – 3 rounds.
- Overhead plate shrugs help counteract this by focusing on upwardly rotating your scapula for improved shoulder health while building your traps at the same time.
Scapular Ring Row
Scapula Ring Row –
- Grab the rings and walk with your arm straight to about a 60-degree angle.
- Stretch the middle part of your back by “pushing” your shoulders away from you.
- Pause for a second then “pinch or pull together” your shoulder blades and hold for a second again.
Repeat 8-10 times, x 2 – 3 rounds
Give it a go ☝🏽
Contrary to popular belief, strong upper fibres trapezius muscles are not bad for shoulder health. However, they need to be trained correctly to do their job efficiently.
Do you need help with correcting your shoulder issues?